Thanksgiving marks the beginning of the holiday food season. If you're hoping to enjoy the holiday a little less indulgently this year, here are some tips to get you started.
- Don't skip breakfast and lunch - skipping meals to "save" calories for dinner will lead you to eat more, without proper time for digestion. You'll feel better all day if you eat at least a little something before the main event.
- Stay hydrated - be sure to keep drinking water throughout celebrations to keep yourself feeling energized, and to reduce intake of high calorie drinks.
- Portion your plate - get a little bit of everything you look forward to eating, but take reasonable portions. Click here to learn more about Thanksgiving portion sizes.
- Bring a veggie tray - if you're not hosting, volunteer to bring a veggie tray to ensure there's something healthy to munch on.
- Plan to get moving - plan time as a family to bundle up and take a walk, play catch, or visit a local park. Or try starting the day strong by participating in the YMCA’s Turkey Trot downtown, or the “Wobble Before You Gobble” Zumba party at the Summit Branch!